Thursday, October 22, 2015

As global moves become commonplace, relocation and corporate professionals have gained a better understanding of the phenomenon of culture shock. Yet relatively little attention is paid to cultural issues when relocating employees within a country.


When it is acknowledged at all, domestic culture shock is treated as more of a punch-line than a problem. Colleagues might tease the Houston executive about his upcoming move to New York City, or the Milan professional moving to Palermo, but intra-country culture shock is no laughing matter. It is real, and as with international culture shock, there is potential for failed assignments and relationships and the loss of valued employees.

While there is no readily available hard data on failed domestic assignments due to culture shock, relocation professionals know it exists through anecdotal and informal comments from clients.

THE REALITY

According to Dean Foster, President of DFA Intercultural Global Solutions, culture shock is simply the physiological and psychological phenomenon that occurs when the individual is required to deal with cultural differences that challenge their beliefs, expectations and even identity. “I think that the more prevalent linguistic and cultural similarities that exist in domestic moves sort of blinds us to the impact of the differences that are there, and they can probably be even more profound than some international moves,” Foster says.





Sean Dubberke, Director, Intercultural Programs at RW3 CultureWizard, concurs. “Domestic culture shock most definitely exists, especially in large countries where linguistic differences can make it difficult to communicate and interact with locals.”

A transferee might encounter differences in beliefs, geography, climate, attitudes and protocols, differences that exist in most countries, regardless of size or location. According to Foster, most countries can point to significant north/south differences, whether large (the U.S., India, Brazil, Russia, China) or small (Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Italy, Vietnam, Ireland, Egypt, Mexico, Spain); east/west differences (the same large countries plus many of the smaller ones); or ethnic regional differences (Israel, Sudan, Nigeria, Indonesia).  Intra-country moves between rural and urban regions can also be profoundly dislocating - The same concept goes for within New York State, especially from the suburban or rural areas to the city areas.

He notes that if you combine several elements that make for differences, such as geography (i.e. north/south) and economics (i.e. rural/urban), you increase the affect of these differences—and culture-shock—exponentially. So a move between a rural village in southern India to Mumbai would require significant adjustment.

But even in economically mature markets like Canada, the U.S. or the U.K., intra-country moves with several culture differences are likely to be much more difficult. For example, moving a Canadian Francophone family from Montreal to the Athabasca oil sands area in Alberta; moving a single, 20-something man from a small town in Nebraska to New York City; or moving a London-based family to a small town in Scotland.


As with international culture shock, if the assignee is accompanied by family, the effects increase markedly. “Each family member is experiencing his or her own cultural challenges, and the family is also experiencing these aggregate challenges together,” said Mary Beauregard, an Intercultural Consultant at Global LT.

LIFESTYLE VS. WORK STYLE

For intra-country moves in many developed countries, the bigger culture shock issue, and the one that will likely be of more concern to employers, is work-style differences. DFA’s Foster said, “While intra-regional moves may not affect lifestyle issues to the degree that these issues may be affected in some international moves, they certainly affect work-style issues, which, if not managed successfully, can profoundly affect job and project performance.”




RW3’s Dubberke adds, “In a country like the U.S., regional work-style differences that might appear to be surmountable can present true challenges. For example, the brusque, task-focused approach typical of New Yorkers would be very frustrating for a person from a place with a more laissez-faire style, like Southern California.”

Conversely, Northeasterners can find Angelinos maddeningly blasé, lacking any sense of urgency to close deals and do business. And some topics that would constitute polite workplace conversation in one place would be puzzling or even insulting in others. “‘What church do you attend?’ would be an unremarkable question in many Southern U.S. communities but would likely garner a response of ‘What?’ in the Northeast U.S.,” said Global LT’s Beauregard.


There is a real risk of alienating colleagues and potential business partners with a work style that is deemed inappropriate for the location. In international business, we expect some faux pas and make greater allowances for cultural differences and misunderstandings; within a country, and with fellow nationals, we are more likely to expect colleagues and partners to be like us, and to judge them more harshly when they do not behave as we expect. As with international moves, to succeed in the new location it is important to have an understanding of the local cultural norms.

5 comments:

  1. I really find your topic interesting any I am not even going to lie. My family is from Singapore and our culture is very different from that of the USA. Singapore is a fairly small country and we live in what is considered the 'suburbs' but here, we live in a urban area. As for the language, we adapted pretty well as in Singapore, we used English to communicate.

    When your mentioned families adapting to the lifestyle, you're not far from the truth. My brother, who was very outgoing and cheerful, went through a dramatic change. He stopped smiling all together for a while and we saw that he became less of a social butterfly like he used to. He also showed signs of withdrawal and together, we tried to help him recover. Now, after a few years, parts of his old self are beginning to surface again.

    In addition, even the work is different. People in Singapore take their work very seriously. We have a policy called Five Day Work Week. Also we take our jobs very seriously. Here, applying for a Permanent Residency can take up to more than a year but in Singapore, it only takes up to 6 months.

    Also, while relocating, my parents actually fought to stay in New York or my bad would quit. His company received a scare because they really needed him. They waited for him for eight moments while his Visa for the USA was being processed.

    All in all, culture shock is really a large thing but everyone experiences it at least once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always had a weird feeling when I came to the city that I never really fit into the personality type that comes from growing up here. Obviously, since people from the boroughs were raised in a completely different environment from me, it makes sense that there's a cultural difference. I didn't grow up in farm country, but suburban culture doesn't always translate into that of New York City. For instance, my neighbors don't speak to each other. MY neighbor's aren't even 20 feet from my house. Not everyone is like this in my area, but my point is that I never have to see my neighbors if I don't want to. Most people who live in the city, from what I understand. live in apartments and have more of a close relationship with their neighbors because they are so physically close and tend to have more of a community feeling. Beyond that, most people in suburban areas are a little softer than those from the city. Also, I felt a little uncomfortable with everyone's angry looking faces, but how I see it now, it's kind of a way of deflecting unwanted attention. I also couldn't navigate at all when I first came to school here, now my sense of direction is more on point. Little differences in culture can honestly make all the difference when you're somewhere new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a very large inter-country culture shock moving from a small town (are there any other kinds?) in Wyoming to New York City a few decades ago. When I first arrived, tourists would ask me for directions because I looked nice and approachable. Of course, at that time, I didn't know my way around, so could not help them. By the time I did know my way around, I had adopted the "Don't bother me, I'm a New Yorker, I might punch you" face, and was no help to them anyway, since I no longer appeared approachable!

    Sadly, I didn't know how to step up when waiting at a Kiosk when the attendant would yell "Next!", so people would step in front of me to get served and hurry off to their destinations. I thought they were rude, they thought I was stoned. At traffic crossings, I would wait politely on the curb for the light to turn from red to green, while hoards of New Yorkers stepped around me and crossed against the light.

    I laugh now at my former shy, newcomer self, but there dark days back then where I thought I really could not live among such barbarians and must return to my little hometown where, if you step off the curb into the street, all the traffic would politely stops to let you cross, where everyone passing you on the sidewalk looked you in the eye and said "Howdy!" or "Mornin'!"

    But, running back home would be the coward's way, out so - I learned to play chicken on the New York sidewalks (don't meet the oncoming people's eye and move your shoulders sideways at the last minute to avoid crashing into them as they do the same), I learned to yell "coffee, black no sugar" when they yelled "Next" at the Kiosk and I began to routinely cross the street on red when no traffic was coming - but learned the hard way - watch out for the damn bikes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a lil girl moving from Trinidad to the U.S. was definitely a cultural shock to me. Coming off the plane the smell of the New York air was different than what I was used to.

    My first week of school in New York was totally devastating to begin with due to the 9/11 attack. I wanted to go back to my home country but seeing the planes crash I got terrified of flying it took me a few years to overcome that fear. I also had some trouble adapting making new friends. I never understood the American language or terminology spoken by the teachers/students. It took me quite some time to adjust to the different foods and the cold weather. I never understood why NY has 4 seasons like a lot of things just didn't make sense to me because I wasn't used to it.
    I was born in a tropical environment and also rural community so having to come out to NY to live in a 6 story building was kinda weird because as a young girl growing up I always had that silly notion in my head that buildings were considered for corporate offices lol but over the course of years I adapted quicker than I thought in most cases and still 15 years later till this day I'm still trying to adjust to certain things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you all 100%, especially here in New York most of us 'residence' are immigrants. Often when we make life changes, including adapting successfully to other cultures we have to - Learn what needs to be changed, understand our own thoughts about the issue and decide if we want to change and how, also we need to integrate our thoughts, behaviors and feelings together to create success.
    This all sounds easy - but depending on what needs to be changed it may or may not be. Sometimes we go through this process without realizing it, and sometimes we need help from family, friends or someone like you - a cross cultural coach!
    If you want to navigating and overcoming culture shock - those techniques work, but they are not overnight cures.

    ReplyDelete